One of the most common mid-day beach activities, regardless of the location, is reading. There’s nothing more relaxing than lounging under the radiant sun with your toes in the sand while finishing a gripping novel penned by a favorite author. The experience is elevated by the soothing sounds of the lapping Gulf, the refreshing breeze, jovial bird chatter, and the laughter of children. Every spring, thousands of Americans patiently await Oprah Magazine’s summer reading list, known to most as the “Best Beach Reads.”
Sand is said to be “optional,” but here at Port A Escapes, we understand that the beach is an integral aspect of the overall endeavor. Before we dive into this summer reading “challenge,” it’s important to note that we have a small fleet of Port Aransas beachfront condos. When you choose Port A, you’ll only be steps away from deep relaxation along the Gulf of Mexico’s sugary banks!
2020 Beach Reads: A Summer Reading Challenge Worth Accepting
The Oprah Magazine’s summer reading list, combined with the top beach reads from Good Housekeeping, Parade, and CNN, provides plenty of potential for those who value a good, old-fashioned page-turner. We’ve collected 15 of the most talked-about beach reads of 2020 to give you a taste of what everyone’s after this summer. While we haven’t had a chance to read all of them, we highly value the opinion of these refined sources. Hopefully, one or two of these acclaimed novels pairs perfectly with the salty sea, warm sand, and light breeze here on Port Aransas Beach.
- 28 Summers, Elin Hilderbrand
- Beach Read, Emily Henry
- Big Summer, Jennifer Weiner
- Friends and Strangers, J. Courtney Sullivan
- Happy & You Know It, Laura Hankin
- Head Over Heels, Hannah Orenstein
- Normal People, Sally Rooney
- Party of Two, Jasmine Guillory
- Pizza Girl, Jean Kyoung Frazier
- Real Men Knit, Kwana Jackson
- Red, White & Royal Blue, Casey McQuiston
- Sex and Vanity, Kevin Kwan
- The Jetsetters, Amanda Eyre Ward
- The Vanishing Half, Brit Bennett
- You Had Me at Hola, Alexis Daria
15 Classic Beach Thrillers: Buckle Up!
For some, a crime thriller, classic whodunnit, or space odyssey is the fuel needed for an idyllic beach getaway. Because audiences cannot get enough of the thriller genre, this 15-piece summer reading list features several books that have made into feature films. “The book is way better” is a joint statement for those who prefer the slow burn of a page-turning, can’t-put-it-down novel. Many of these books act as a gateway into an author’s anthology, such as the undeniably well-crafted works of Blake Crouch, Dan Wells, and Dennis Lehane. Yes, we all know about the likes of Gone Girl, Mystic River, and The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo because their film companions were nominated for Academy Awards. But, hopefully, there are some lesser-known authors worth discovering below.
- Annihilation trilogy, Jeff VanderMeer
- Before the Fall, Noah Hawley
- Gone Girl, Gillian Flynn
- John Cleaver series, Dan Wells
- Mystic River, Dennis Lehane
- Never Let Me Go, Kazuo Ishiguro
- Security, Gina Wohlsdorf
- The Book of Strange New Things, Michel Faber
- The Dry, Jane Harper
- The Girl on the Train, Paula Hawkins
- The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, Stieg Larsson
- The Light Between Oceans, M.L. Stedman
- The Road, Cormac McCarthy
- The Wayward Pines trilogy, Blake Crouch
- Tony & Susan, Austin Wright
Romantic Getaways in Texas: Mustang Island
Romance is always in the air here on Texas’ pristine Mustang Island, especially during summer’s radiance. These 30 beach reads pair well with an early-morning beach jog, a light swim, and a fruity beverage. Port A Escapes is proud to boast one of the largest selections of Port Aransas condo rentals, most of which are located along the island’s dunes. Please give us a call today at 866-341-7730 to learn how we have enhanced our cleaning procedures to ensure your safety. You can also browse through our luxurious, tropical condos and homes by visiting us online.